Thursday, June 12, 2014

Laksa Fried Chicken Is Delicious

I thought it was a coincidence.

The night before I cooked this dish, I was wondering whether I could marinate the chicken wings with some laksa paste instead of the usual garlic, spring onions, soy sauce, honey, salt, pepper, etc marinade. I thought very hard about how the laksa marinade would work.

I flicked through Adam Liaw's Two Asian Kitchens absent-mindedly, while watching Masterchef Australia on the telly, when I flicked to the right page.

My eyes opened wide.

So someone has thought about it before, hah!

And it was a brilliant recipe as he combined both his favourite food into one dish. Not bad, not bad.

Rich and aromatic chicken wings.

And who would have thought, coconut cream in the marinade, too!

The cream provides some richness to it, complementing the spices from the laksa paste. The occasional crunch from the  flour, and the dessicated coconut provides a little bit of texture.

As the recipe suggests, it is best to marinade the chicken overnight. My chicken was only marinated for about 6 hours and it was not enough for the flavours to intensify.


Adam Liaw's Laksa Fried Chicken Recipe

Ingredients for marinade:
1 whole chicken, chopped into pieces (I used chicken wings, minus the wing tips.)
1 cup of laksa paste
125ml coconut cream

Ingredients for coating:
75gm corn flour
75gm plain flour
90gm dessicated coconut

cooking oil for frying

Here's the excerpt from Adam Liaw's book.

It's a lot of work but if you love your laksa and your fried chicken, this dish will knock your socks off and wow your guests.


Note:
For a more aromatic flavour, add two kaffir leaves, finely chopped to the marinade. Use another two as garnish for a bit of colour.

Trust me, it'll be good.


p.s. Thanks to the Cheongs' for the kaffir leaves!!

3 comments:

  1. Wooooowwwwwww speed demon ini terer lah!

    Okies one day I wanna try this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hope so!
      don't bluff me k! :P

      p.s. Adam Liaw la terrer, not me!

      Delete