Saturday, March 17, 2012

Yeast Free Wholemeal Bread

Last Saturday, I offered to bake YB some bread.

I searched high and low for a recipe I liked, and very much hassle free. After 15 minutes or so, I felt that I was wasting too much time (with my research! You know how yeast needs time!) so I quickly chose one.

Which happens to be yeast free. =D

I modified it as follows:
Ingredients
2 Cups of wholemeal flour
1 Cup of bread flour
1 Tbsp of brown sugar
1 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp of bicarbonate soda (baking soda)
1/4 tsp of salt
1 Cup of miscellaneous (1/2 cup rolled oats, topped with 2 Tbsp wheat germ, 2 Tbsp of wheat bran, 2 tsp of flaxseed, 2 Tbsp of sunflower seeds - something like that!)
1 1/2 Tbsp of butter
2 Cups of milk

Directions:
1. Preheat oven at 200'C. Grease loaf pan.
2. Combine all the dry ingredients, leaving butter and milk last.
3. Add butter and mix with fork.
4. Pour in the milk and combine well.
5. Pour batter into greased loaf pan.
6. Bake for 50 minutes.
7. Remove bread from pan and cool on rack.
*cross fingers*

Sigh.
The verdict? A bit too dry for me, or I must have baked it too long, am not too sure.

Probably too much ingredients, too. ;)


Correct me if I'm wrong, in my humble opinion, I think yeast free breads are more dense than normal and almost cake-like.

It was nice when toasted with cheese and topped with a slice of tomato and a sausage. And trust me, because of the fibre goodness, I was quite full after 2 1/2 slices!

The bread only lasted for less than 4 days so thankfully we ate it all in time!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Von! My mum was just looking for a bread recipe like this - will tell her about it.

    ReplyDelete