Sunday, March 2, 2014

Fish Noodles Soup

This post has been sitting in the draft folder since last year. I made this dish twice in November and absolutely enjoyed it. :)


Who would have thought that I would miss tangy fish noodles from home?

It was such a joy (and relief) to come across the recipe which simplified its cooking, making it possible for me attempt this dish. Otherwise, I'd just shove my cravings back into its cage and pretend it never happened.

First attempt on 22nd November 2013.

If you already have your stock in hand, your preparation and cooking time will be reduced and would take not more than 1.5 hours.

For sambal belacan and fried silver whiting, I usually refer to this recipe. I tend to make just enough sambal belacan for 3 portions as I don't want to keep them too long in the fridge. The fried fish pieces are fairly simple, and you may use your preferred choice of fish.

For the fish noodle recipes, I referred to both Kelly Siew Cooks and Maangchi and have adapted them to my own.


Fish Noodles Soup
Serves 2.

Ingredients:
1/2 litre of chicken stock
thumb size ginger, sliced thinly
a pinch of dried anchovies
2 pieces of pickled mustard green, sliced thinly
2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
2 salted plum (asam boi?)
2 TBSP of Shao Xing rice wine
2 tsp of fish sauce
1 TBSP of sesame oil
vermicelli, soak in hot water and set aside.
1/4 cup of evaporated milk (or fresh milk)
salt and pepper, to taste.

for garnish
coriander
spring onion
fried fish pieces


Directions:
1. Fry ginger with sesame oil until fragrant in a pot.
2. Add chicken stock to the pot, and throw in the anchovies, mustard green, tomatoes and salted plum.
3. When it starts to boil, add the rice wine and fish sauce. Close, reduce heat and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
4. Remove foam from the surface, if any.
5. Check the vermicelli to see if they are soft enough. If yes, drain water and set it aside. 
6. Shut off the heat. Remove anchovies or leave it.
7. Taste broth, and see if it requires some salt or white pepper.
8. Add milk into the broth before pouring over the noodles. You may want to gradually pour in the milk and taste it first. You don't want to pour too little or too much.

Second attempt on 27nd November 2013.

Hope you'll give it a go!
When winter comes, I supposed I'll cook this dish again. :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment