Sunday, June 10, 2012

Finding That Motivation

My running fitness has slid down into a ravine, barely just hanging on to a very thin thread before it completely falls into the abyss.

A year ago, I would have been psyched up and itching to run almost every single day.

But it's been half a year since Taipei Marathon and I don't feel anywhere as fit as I was ... well, a year ago.

I hate this feeling. I feel like a beginner runner all over again and the only way to get through it is keep on running.

I lack the strength and stamina I used to have and I blame it on gaining a few kilos this year. *frustrated*
I've been trying to tell myself that it's OK, I'm still running to keep myself fit and healthy. But I don't like having to struggle during a run I once found it to be half the effort I put in now. I huff and puff and gasp for breath, and I just want to stop to catch my breath before I continue running.



So last week, I vowed to get my mojo back. By hook or by crook, I was going to improve my strength and stamina once again.

I did it last year, didn't I? Through hard work and pain, I achieved at least one of my goals, completing 10km below an hour.

But, Discipline is not my friend. 
Nor is Will Power.

It takes a good deal of coaxing and determination to win their friendship and I have to start somewhere.

Even if I have to wake up wee hours of the morning to run.


For example, I had a dinner appointment on Tuesday night so I made sure I woke up early that morning to hit the condo gym.

Yes, the gym is a boring thing and I don't like treadmills. But I forced myself to finish a 30-minute workout so that I don't beat myself up with a stick when I'm enjoying my dinner with my girl friends.

It was a tough one, I tell you. I arrived at the office 2.5 hours later only to find myself incredibly sleepy by 930am.

The occasional lunch at work is a tuna sandwich.


Watching what I eat is also a very difficult thing to do.

They say that when it comes to losing weight, it's 40% exercise and 60% diet. So I have to keep telling myself to be mindful of what I eat.

Unfortunately, I can't stop eating chocolates, and that's the biggest challenge I honestly cannot overcome. 

Or don't want to. (That's what YB says, and I know it's true. I can't deny it!)

I just try not to overindulge, and that's the best I can do.


What's motivating me, I asked myself. How do I motivate myself?

CHOCOLATE.
To LOSE WEIGHT again.
(Hey, I lost weight for my wedding, so surely it's doable!!)

To be FIT.
To get my mojo back, and be a FITTER RUNNER.

Doesn't sound too difficult, but execution of the plan is a hell lot more painful than it is.

Help!


The BHP Orange Run is happening again this year in July and that's going to be my test.

5 weeks to whip myself up into shape is going to be a battle... 


~*~*~
Oh and, FYI. Don't snack too much in front of the TV!

(source:  The Sun Daily)

I need some chocolate now!

Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment