Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Awakening the Oven with Nutella Banana Muffins

There were some leftover bananas from the GCAM group run on Saturday and our trail run on Sunday. So as to not let them go to waste, I decided that it was time for the oven to snap out of its sabbatical leave and bake some muffins.


A quick check on the Internet led me to this recipe on Tastefully Julie's blog. I glanced through the list of ingredients and checked my kitchen to make sure I had the requisite ingredients before I started.

It was also time to put on my Cath Kidston apron (a gift from my sister) for the first time. I propped the adorable egg whisk into one of the pockets, also a recent gift from my sister as part of my belated birthday gift. :D

I must show you a picture of Grumpy Egg Whisk next time, it cracks me up!



 Uhm, I don't think I can act cute in self portrait photos. Sorry! :P

The recipe was very simple to follow and I implore you to try it out should you have bananas and Nutella in your kitchen.

My adaptation to the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt

2 over-ripe bananas, mashed (I used 4 medium sized ones)
1/2 cup of white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup of canola oil

10 teaspoons of Nutella

A dollop of Nutella into each muffin cup!

Directions:
1. Preheat oven at 185'C. Grease muffin tray or line with muffin papers.
2. Mix the 1st section of the ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Mix the 2nd section of the ingredients in a smaller bowl. Pour mixture into the larger bowl containing the dry ingredients and mix until just moisten. (Don't over-mix or your muffins will turn out dry!)
4. Scoop batter into cups. Add a dollop of Nutella into each cup. Swirl together well.
5. Bake for 15 - 17 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the muffin comes out clean.

Notes:
1. I was very generous with the Nutella. In fact, it looked like I dunked in 1 tablespoon! 
2. My muffins took 19 minutes to bake.
3. I made 11 muffins, but I think the batter was sufficient to make 12.

It looks like a cookie from the top!

Last night, I brought some over for my badminton mates to try and they gave these muffins a raving review. I was curious, as I only tasted half a muffin before rushing over for badminton.

To be sure they weren't mocking me, I ate the remaining half last night after badminton and gosh, they were right.

The muffins were yummy.

The top of the muffin was chewy, like soft baked cookies. The Nutella tasted more like chocolate with no hint of hazelnut whatsoever and the bottom was soft and fluffy, with hints of banana.

The bananas were definitely overwhelmed by the Nutella but nobody complained!

I mean, I'm not complaining.


Best accompanied with a cup of tea or coffee.

Now, what shall I bake next? The badminton mates are requesting red velvet but gosh, that sounds ... rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment