Thursday, November 3, 2011

German Soft Style Pretzels

Deepavali (26th October) was a great midweek break from work. We ran with the gang in the morning, headed out for breakfast and then a long snooze for me after we got home.

Come mid afternoon, we were both hungry. Since making pretzels take almost forever, I had to curb our hunger pangs with a green smoothie first.

Pretzels ... I decided to go with this recipe, who in turn, followed The Fresh Loaf's. ;)


Ingredients in hand:
1 tsp instant yeast
1 tbsp white sugar (I couldn't find my brown sugar ... it appeared later!)
2 to 3 cups of all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup warm milk (I boiled it in a small saucepan)
4 tsp baking soda
1 quart of warm water

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Use 2 cups of flour first. Then slowly add 2 tablespoons each time until it becomes a thick batter but can be kneaded by hand.

Knead for 5 to 10 minutes until dough becomes smooth and almost shiny. (Shame I had to stop, I had too much fun kneading it!)

Leave ball of dough in a greased bowl. Cover it with cling wrap and set it aside in a corner for about an hour or so.

It rose. =)
Can you tell?

Cut the ball into 6 pieces and roll them into short logs.
Then cover with a towel and let it rest for 5 to 10minutes.

I decided that I wanted 12 small pieces instead of 6 big ones. It's that childish mentality of mine, thinking that with quantity, we'd have more to eat.

Roll a piece of dough and slightly stretch it while you're doing so.

Make sure you're also preheating the oven at 205 C.

Heat up the saucepan of water and add the baking soda into it. Once the water is a bit hot, carefully dunk a shaped pretzel in, submerging it for at least 5 seconds.

When it floats, pick it out and lay it on the greased parchment paper on your baking tray.

Ready for the oven.
Pop them in for about 12-15mins.

Ready to eat.
Best served with honey mustard!

YB and I sat at the table admiring the pretzels. Once they had cooled down a little, we took an apprehensive bite into our pretzel.

YB wants me to figure out where to get the sour cream & onion powder (just like Auntie Anne's) for my next batch of pretzels.

And I need to find a way to make sure the parmesan and sesame seeds stick to the pretzels.

~
Overnight pretzels are too hard to chew. If possible, I think the pretzels MUST be finished on the same day itself.

~
p.s. Right after the pretzels were baked, I proceeded to prepare the ingredients for dinner, the Chicken Vindaloo. Boy, I was on my feet for about 4 hours in total.

No comments:

Post a Comment