Thursday, August 30, 2012

Vegemite Pasta

Say whaaaaaat?

Yes, you heard it right!

I have a jar of Vegemite that needs to be put to good use but gosh, there aren't many recipes which require the use of it. This needs to be changed!

I demand more recipes with Vegemite!

No, spreading it on toast does not count as a recipe! ;D


This jar is our one and only Australian souvenir from our trip to Perth in May this year. I'm not sure why we bought it as we aren't that crazy over it. Probably because someone mentioned 'Vegemite' in passing and it stayed in our heads.

To date, we have only eaten it with porridge. Twice.

After repeated attempts to search online for an extraordinary recipe with Vegemite, I came across Nigella's recipe as one of the easiest with minimal ingredients.

I like easy recipes with minimal ingredients. =)


Ingredients
Spaghetti or any of your favourite pasta. I used 1 2/4 cups of shell pasta
Butter - I used about 25-30gm
Vegemite - I used 1 teaspoon
Salt
Parmesan cheese

Directions
1. Cook pasta in boiling water with a pinch of salt, or two pinches, to be safe.
2. When the pasta is almost cooked, melt the butter in a pan and add Vegemite to it. Add a tablespoon of the water from the pasta. I added two.
3. Drain pasta, reserving half a cup of its water.
4. Pour Vegemite sauce over the pasta, mix well. Add the water if required.
5. Serve with parmesan cheese sprinkled on top!


OK, so it didn't look too appetising but it smelled reeeeallly good.

Like chocolate.

Or I could have been hallucinating because who'd associate Vegemite with chocolate?

What's missing is parmesan cheese sprinkled generously on top!

I only remembered it when I was halfway through.


My first bite was a wary one, conscious of its pungent aroma. By my second and third bite, I was enjoying it.

Until I realised that I forgot the parmesan cheese.

So I sprinkled some on the remaining pasta and realised that hey, this works!

The parmesan brings out the intensity of the Vegemite, and would probably knock you off your feet if you aren't a fan of this Australian food paste.


I packed the leftovers for lunch the next day.
The intensity knocked me back at my first whiff when I took off the lid of my container. Whew!


I will definitely try this again soon, because I'm sure my hubby would enjoy this interesting dish.

And I'll make sure this time, I will not burn the sauce!

~*~*~*~
p.s. You could tell from the splotchy pasta that I burned my sauce, couldn't you? ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment