Monday, August 1, 2011

Glutinous Rice With Chicken

See, my mum makes fabulous glutinous rice ("lo mai fan") and we enjoy it so much that I thought I'd try making it, too.

Instead of asking her for the recipe, I thought I'd be clever and do my own research online instead.




ingredients:
2 cups of glutinous rice - soaked for 8 hours
chinese mushroom - soaked in hot water for 30 minutes
garlic, shallots, 2 chicken thighs - chopped
1 chinese sausage - sliced
1 tbsp of light soya sauce
1 tbsp of dark soya sauce
2 tbsp of oyster sauce
pepper and salt to taste

for garnish:
fried shallots
chopped spring onion
1 red chilli, sliced

cooking time: 45mins - 1 hour


It was missing something, and I couldn't put my finger to it. Dried shrimps? Dried cuttlefish? Perhaps caramel sauce?

Nevertheless, it went well with some chilli sauce to make up for the lost 'oomph'. =S

Oh, I'll definitely cook it again the next time. YB has requested perhaps I cook this dish for his parents the next time they come to visit. Hmm.

Maybe once I've perfected it.


UPDATE as at 19-8-2014 for a smaller portion and without chicken:
Serves 2.

Ingredients:
300gm glutinous rice, soaked for at least 7 hours, drain water thereafter
(equivalent to 2 rice cups - you know, the cup that comes with your rice cooker.)
1 1/2 Chinese sausage (optional), sliced thinly
5 Chinese mushrooms, soaked in hot water, sliced thin
3 shallots, sliced finely
20g of dried shrimps, soaked and roughly chopped (equivalent to 1/3 cup)
1 TBSP sesame oil
1 TBSP Chinese cooking wine (optional)
1 TBSP dark soya sauce
1 TBSP light soya sauce
2 TBSP oyster sauce

1. Heat some oil in frying pan. Fry shallots until brown, not burnt. Set aside and leave oil in pan.
2. Add more oil, if need be. Fry dried shrimps for 3 mins, add mushroom and Chinese sausage and fry for a few minutes.
3. Add glutinous rice to pan and seasoning sauces as mentioned above. Add 2 pinches of salt and 3 dashes of white pepper.
4. Add shallots and mix well for a few more minutes. Taste the rice on your tongue, and spit it out - since it's not cooked, you shouldn't eat it!
5. Transfer to a dish.
6. Add water, about 3/4 cup. Sprinkle some water on top.
7. Steam for 45mins - 1 hour, checking every 15-20 mins or so, to sprinkle some water.

Note: the dried shrimps bring the dish together. if you scrimp on it, the rice isn't tasty enough. I speak from experience - 3 weeks ago I tried and the taste fell just a wee bit short. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment