Friday, March 11, 2011

In The Courts

Last week, when the lawyer suggested that I come along to see for myself how problematic and long-winded his opponent was, I eagerly agreed! He told me later yesterday how he could hear the eagerness in my voice - clearly I wanted an excuse to get out of the office!

Truth to be told, I get an occasional twinge of longing to be part of the litigation action. But it's just a twinge, you know. Not the part where I'd have to slog like a dog to prepare your clients' cases, only to have them complain that your fees are too high and why can't you work faster!

It was my first time at the Jalan Duta Court Complex. While walking in to the compound, I looked around to see if I could spot the familiar faces I once saw many years ago but didn't find any. I was dressed in a white shirt and black pinstripe skirt, just to blend in, you know. That's how eager I was. ;)

(OK, actually I had nothing else to wear!)


Boy, it was a complex indeed! We headed up to the fourth floor and to the left, and walked along the corridor to find our courtroom.

The Judge wanted both parties to settle so I had to step outside to call up my colleague to help me check on my file for some details, and call up my boss for some mandate.


It was still the same procedure - lawyers signing in by 845am before the Judge came in to begin his cases.

Anyway, while my case was being heard, I tried to listen and took notes as much as I could. I could tell right away that my lawyer was correct, the Judge had a hint of sympathy towards the opponent so that does not look good for us. We would definitely lose the case if we persisted in arguing the matter. *Sigh*

I began to fume in my seat and gawd, that's when I posted up on Facebook that I wanted a cigarette. *LOL* Just so I could release some tension.

Whatever.

Outside a courtroom, we also saw the live feed for Teoh Beng Hock's inquest hearing/proceedings and Edmund Bon was cross-examining one of the defendant's witnesses. I think. It was definitely someone from MACC who was on the stand.


We went to the cafeteria on the lower ground and I was amazed by the sheer size of it. Woah. It was probably 4 times bigger than the old one at the Jalan Raja Sessions & Magistrates' Courts!

I saw the photographers shoving their huge ass camera and lenses into some policemen having their tea at a table. It was hilarious, really, because I suspect the pictures wouldn't be flattering for the newspapers, anyway.

Apparently Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim (DSAI) and his crew were seated 2 tables behind me. Ahhh. I spotted him, and his lawyers.

Finally, I spotted a familiar face. He was chambering while I was one of the junior lawyers at a firm. The first thing he said to me was, "Wow! You lost so much weight!"

I must have been reeeeeeeally tubby, eh!!! -____-

He thought I had come back to practice but I corrected him to say that I was just there to observe a proceedings. =P

I must say it's the same scene all over again, no hot guys to look at, but plenty of hot chicks!

No comments:

Post a Comment